My biggest support, strength and my first love, Jilu Bhaina, Happy Birthday. I am the luckiest sister. 13th Sept will always be special.
Coming back to our discussion...
The biggest problem I faced
during my preparation was that I was working very hard towards something
regarding which I had no clear idea. At Vajiram and Ravi (the institute where I
took coaching), generally teachers were good and some were very good but no one
really discussed what type of questions may be asked from the taught sections. Everything
seemed easy and was happening fast. I found the course very interesting but was
unaware of the kind of questions that have been asked or can be asked. I
realized it as late as February when the test series began and I got the
biggest shock of my life.
Perhaps, it was foolish of me to
expect it from them because some preliminary work should have been done from my
side before joining the institute itself. Not all decisions should be emotional
and impulsive. I was usually unsure as to where to stop buying books, where to
stop studying. For instance, there were times where I liked a particular
subject so much that I went on researching on it, referring different books for
it. I developed the understanding but with time it faded away because that was
the wrong approach for this exam. I hope you will not face the same, as I am there for you.
Will start with a discussion on
preliminary examinations and once you are comfortable in that we can move to a
discussion on Mains. Yes, preparation should be an integrated one but the
candidate should first know very well what the preliminary exam demands and
once he gets comfortable in that, one should move towards Mains examination.
However at this stage the optional selection is very important so that the
relevant materials can be downloaded, bought and a basic understanding of the subject
is developed. I think we are sorted regarding the Optional which in all
probability will be Sociology in this case, as I will be unable to guide in any
other subject ;)
Also for prelims the approach has
to be very objective and smart or else one will just read and read and will be unable
to deliver output. A particular teacher at Vajiram and Ravi always emphasized
the importance of syllabus and he used to ask us to mug up the syllabus which I
didn’t and I regret. Perhaps the mugging up part may be discounted but his
concern was very right. Without knowing the syllabus by heart, without knowing
why you are studying whatever you are studying, you are just making the journey
more difficult.
So let us get acquainted with the
syllabus for the Preliminary Examination.
Syllabus for
Preliminary Examination
The Preliminary examination
consists of Paper I and Paper II, each carrying 200 marks. I have mentioned the
syllabus below, alongside which you will find dates allotted to the specific
subjects. In those particular dates we will try to gain an understanding on the way each subject is to be approached,
books to be referred/avoided, websites and essential videos that may be useful
and a very basic discussion on the pattern of questions. So by the end of October 8th one will have a little clear idea about what to read and how to do
so. Once this is over we may take individual topics in details that may start
late October or Early November.
Paper I - (200 marks)
Duration: Two hours
• Current events of national and
international importance
(14th
-15th Sept)
• History of India and Indian
National Movement
(16th-18th
Sept)
• Indian and World Geography -
Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
(19th-21st Sept)
• Indian Polity and Governance –
Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues,
etc.
(22nd-24th
Sept)
• Economic and Social Development
– Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector
Initiatives, etc.
(25th- 27th
Sept)
• General issues on Environmental
ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject
specialization
(28th-30th
Sept)
• General Science
(1st-3rd October)
Paper II- (200 marks)
Duration: Two hours
(4th-8th October)
• Comprehension
• Interpersonal skills including
communication skills;
• Logical reasoning and
analytical ability
• Decision making and problem
solving
• General mental ability
• Basic numeracy (numbers and
their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation
(charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. -Class X level)
• English Language Comprehension
skills (Class X level).
• Questions relating to English
Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of
Paper-II) will be tested through passages from English language only without
providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.
• The questions will be of
multiple choice, objective type.
Note:
As you will be asked multiple
choice questions which may be very indirect sometimes, the minute details
cannot be ignored. So I would recommend slow and in-depth reading rather than a
hasty one. The first reading is extremely important and requires maximum
efforts. So if you are studying about elections in India you need to know
everything about the election process of MPs, MLAs, President, Vice President
etc. You need to know the difference in their election procedure, who conducts
it, how is the election commission appointed, who are its members, what is
their usual tenure, how are they removed etc. It isn’t difficult and is
actually interesting as an aware citizen one should know about these things. So
once you read about elections and election commission you should try to solve
as many questions concerning it.The approach remains the same for other
subjects as well.
So as per the time table we will
start discussing different topics in depth from tomorrow. Kindly read and
re-read the Syllabus today and reading Hindu should be started seriously from
today itself.
Much love..Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment